Oscar Isaac resigned himself to Star Wars cameo

MoviesBy Sunday World
Oscar Isaac resigned himself to Star Wars cameo

Oscar Isaac had resigned himself to a "cameo" in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' until J.J. Abrams changed his mind.

The 36-year-old actor was initially told his part as X-wing pilot Poe Dameron would only bit a short-lived role, which he accepted and decided it would be "better" to just spend a small period of time in the sci-fi film rather than be in three 'Star Wars' movies.

He said: "I went back home [to New York], and I thought about it.

"Then I wrote him and said, 'OK. I'll do it!' I figured it would be a cameo. I'll come in, do my thing, and maybe it's actually better not to have to sign myself up for three movies."

But Isaac eventually didn't have the option of just doing a cameo as Abrams changed his mind and wrote a much bigger role for the star.

Speaking to GQ magazine about his reaction to the news, he said: "I was like, 'Holy s**t! All right, cool.' "

As a result of Abrams' change of heart, Isaac is set to return for director Rian Johnson's 'Star Wars: Episode VIII'.

But Isaac won't be alone as Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy has confirmed the whole 'Force Awakens' cast will be back for the movie.

She told BANG Showbiz: "There will be a handful of new cast members in 'Episode VIII' but also all the cast members you see here tonight will be in it as well. We're excited to get back together. We start shooting 'Episode VIII' in January, we've been prepping the movie for the last year and (writer-and-director) Rian Johnson has been doing an amazing job."