EntertainmentMovies

Idris Elba dismisses James Bond rumours

MoviesBy Sunday World
Idris Elba dismisses James Bond rumours

Idris Elba believes the chances of him playing James Bond are "gone".

The 'Luther' actor has been backed by countless famous faces to become the next actor to play the iconic spy in the film franchise when current Bond, Daniel Craig, eventually retires, but he believes there is no chance of it happening because of the mass media speculation.

He admitted: "It's a rumour that's really started to eat itself. If there was a chance of me getting Bond, it's gone."

The 42-year-old star also took the chance to clear up rumours he had been in talks with Bond producers, saying they have "never happened," and revealed it was actually Daniel Craig who originally sparked suggestions.

Speaking to the audience at London's British Film Institute, he said: "Daniel Craig actually set the rumour off. About four years ago he said Idris Elba would be a great Bond and then it started to creep. I blame Daniel."

Stars including Will Smith, Kanye West and Pierce Brosnan have backed calls for Idris to be the next actor to take on the role after a leaked Sony correspondence suggested the idea.

However, the father-of-two took offence to recent comments made by former 007 actor Sir Roger Moore who said James Bond should be played by an actor who is "English-English," despite the veteran actor later saying his comments has been misinterpreted and were not meant in a racist way.

Idris said: "I was born here. I was born in England, born and raised."