MotorbikesBikeTorque Reviews

Battling Kennedy notches two impressive finishes after break

The plucky Dub battled back after suffering a fracture to his left fibia
The plucky Dub battled back after suffering a fracture to his left fibia

Jack Kennedy broke his leg at Caldwell Park in the eighth round of the MCE British Superbike Championship last weekend.

But the plucky Dub battled back after suffering a fracture to his left fibia during the morning warm-up, but the Team WD-40 rider received attention from the BSB medical team, who applied special strapping to his leg and allowed him to race.

An extremely sore Jack made a good start in Race 1, holding his 10th place and sitting on the back of the leading group unable to attack because of the leg. Jack battled for the whole race to hold on bringing home a stunning 11th place from a 10th start and smiled as his crew lifted him off the bike at the finish.

In race 2 Jack, buoyed by the results of the first race, made another good start but finding his way a little further back in the field just outside the points.

Conserving his strength, Jack sat with the group until the last few laps of the 18-lap race, when he focused and pushed hard to grab more BSB points in 14th place.

Two good results on the day, but leaving a feeling of what if?

Jack said after the race: “I feel we have turned things up another notch this weekend and have come away from Caldwell stronger than before showing a great pace and two point scoring finishes. In every session we moved forward and after a good qualifying we made a few small tweaks in morning warm-up to try to further improve. 

“Unfortunately I had a tip off and was unlucky to fracture my left leg. It’s fair to say they were the toughest races I’ve ever had but I had a consistent pace in both and dug deep to finish in 11th and 14th and with a broken fibula, I’ll take that! 

“It was a great team effort particularly by my crew chief, Andy and spanner men, Martin and Tim who always work flat out behind the scenes.  Also big thanks to everyone who looked after me, marshals, medics and in particular the BSB physios who did their magic me to get me back out to race. 

“All in all, I’m feeling positive and once we keep moving forward I’m happy. Hopefully my leg will be a bit stronger in two weeks time when we have the triple header at Oulton Park.