Dundon's Kitchen: Cracking alternatives for your summer barbecue days
This week, to make the most of the good weather and shake things up a bit, I am sharing with you some alternative barbecue recipes.
- 600g loin of bacon
- 100ml Longueville Cider
- 1 Onion
- 1 Carrot
- Parsley stems
- 2 tbsp Sweet soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Sesame oil
- 3 onions, roughly chopped
- Place the loin of bacon in a large pan and just about cover with cold water. Pour in the cider. Then add a carrot, an onion and parsley stems and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for one hour, until the meat is completely tender. Remove the loin of bacon from the liquor and set aside to cool.
- Preheat the barbecue to medium. Place the chopped onions onto a small barbecue tray and place the loin of bacon on top. Score the fat of the bacon, then drizzle with the sweet soy sauce and a little sesame oil.
- Cover loosly with foil and place on side of the barbecue, where the heat is not as intense.
- Let it cook for 25 to 30 minutes (depending on the heat of your barbecue, the cooking time will vary slightly) until completely heated through and well glazed. Remember to baste the meat occassionally as it is cooking. Once cooked, remove from the heat and let rest for about 10 minutes before carving. Serve with the baby potatoes and some salad.
Hay Barbecued Baby Potatoes (Serves 4)
- 2 handfuls of hay
- 16 baby potatoes
- 16 slices of streaky bacon
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- salt and pepper
- Olive oil to drizzle
- Fresh herbs (rosemary, oregano, thyme, parsley etc)
- Preheat the charcoal barbecue to medium. Place the hay onto a barbecue-resistant tray or foil tray and sprinkle with some water.
- Prick each of the baby potatoes a couple of times with a tooth pick or fork. Wrap each potato in a slice of streaky bacon and place on the hay. Add the garlic and season with some salt and pepper.
- Cut a piece of foil to tightly fit over the tray that potatoes are in, then place the tray onto the indirect heat (away from the middle) on a barbecue for 30 to 40 minutes. Check the potatoes are cooked through before serving.
- Sprinkle with some chopped fresh herbs and serve immediately with slices of the barbecued loin of bacon